Sen. Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Wednesday appealed to the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and other concerned government agencies to ramp up relief efforts in areas affected by Typhoon Nona and the floods it caused.
Marcos aired the call after visiting the province of Nueva Ecija where some areas were inundated by floods.
“While the weather has cleared and many of us are looking forward to celebrate Christmas, let us not forget that many people have lost their homes and what few belongings they have. Now, more than ever, they should feel that the government cares for them,” he said.
“Thankfully, as of the December 22 situation report of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council [NDRRMC], a total of 63,184 families comprising 286,552 individuals affected by the typhoon and flooding were provided assistance.”
The senator, however, cited news reports of flooding in several towns in Bulacan, Pampanga, and the town of Baler in Aurora, as well as landslides in various areas that experienced heavy rains brought by the typhoon.
Marcos said the DSWD and other concerned agencies should continue to exert all efforts to reach all the typhoon victims and provide them food and a safe place to stay even temporarily.
“That is the least the government can do to alleviate their sufferings this Christmas. I hope we won’t hear again of stories about dumping of undistributed relief goods that got rotten in a warehouse somewhere,” he added.
Last week, the senator disclosed that rotting relief goods worth millions had been dumped by the government in Leyte province in the Visayas region.