NEW YORK: Baltimore Ravens tight end Nick Boyle will miss the first 10 games of next season after violating National Football League anti-doping rules for the second time in three months, the league announced on Friday (Saturday in Manila).
Boyle, 23, had been suspended for four games in December after failing a dope test. His 10-game ban for the 2016 campaign came after a separate offense.
No further information about the nature of the doping violation was made available.
Boyle will be able to participate in offseason workouts and pre-season practices and games but will be suspended without pay from the beginning of the season.
Under NFL rules, a third doping violation could see him banned for up to two years.
Boyle caught 18 passes for 153 yards last season prior before being banned in December.
Ravens coach John Harbaugh said Boyle’s first offense had not involved “steroids or anything like that.”
“It’s pretty common. It’s what you read about all the time with guys,” Harbaugh said.
“I don’t think he realized that it was something he shouldn’t be doing. Or if he did, he didn’t think it through.”