ZAMBOANGA CITY: Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) gunmen have freed on Monday all their eight hostages following the release of three abducted daughters of the rebel’s leaders in Basilan province, officials said.
Officials said that MNLF leader Hassan Duwalay alias Commander Addang released the hostages in Tipo-Tipo town a day after his daughters Umma, Kelma and Pubu Duwalay—who had been abducted also on July 9 in Lamitan City in Basilan province—were freed.
“The release of the hostages is the result of joint efforts between the military and other stakeholders and we are glad it’s all over and peacefully settled,” said Brig. Gen. Felicito Virgilio Trinidad, commander of the 1st Infantry Division.
The former rebels abducted a dozen people in a raid on the village of Bohe Baca on July 11. Among those taken by the raiders were seven minors, including an infant, who were earlier freed following a negotiation led by Lt. Col. Paolo Perez, commander of the 18th Infantry Battalion, and village officials.
Capt. Jefferson Somera, a regional army spokesman, said the abduc-tions were triggered by a long family feud that stemmed from a land conflict.