A Filipino worker who was attacked with a bat by a group of Taiwanese teenagers amid the furor over the killing of a Taiwanese fisherman by Philippine Coast Guard personnel has said the tension has subsided and that relations between Filipinos and Taiwanese have returned to normal.
Jose de Leon, an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) in Taiwan who was ganged up on by the teenagers, said in a radio interview Monday that “everything is back to normal.”
De Leon also said the incident has nothing to do with the public outrage over the killing of the fisherman.
“The suspects were just drunk and they have already apologized to me,” said de Leon, who injured his foot because he used it to defend himself from his attackers.
Manila Economic and Cultural Office (MECO) Chairman Amadeo Perez has said that emotions are running high in Taiwan, and two incidents of assaults against Filipinos had been reported.
He urged Filipinos in Taiwan to remain indoor and wait until the tension subsides.