• Reports hint Abad was Napoles’ ‘pork’ mentor

    11

    IF reports were true that detained businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles dipped into Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) funds, then it would mean that Napoles’ claim that Budget Secretary Florencio “Butch” Abad was her “mentor” may have some basis, according to former senator Joker Arroyo.

    In a radio interview aired over dzBB, Arroyo on Sunday said such conclusion draws strength from recent reports in which pork barrel scam whistleblower Benhur Luy said Napoles was also a recipient of DAP funds.

    The reports said the businesswoman was able to pocket some of the funds that were allegedly allocated later to at least five senators, including Juan Ponce Enrile, Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada and Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr., who are detained at the Philippine National Police Custodial Center in Camp Crame for plunder and graft charges.

    “The question is, is that fair to Butch Abad all because Luy said so?” Arroyo said.

    Napoles, in her affidavit submitted weeks ago to the Department of Justice (DOJ), tagged Abad as her mentor or the one who taught her how she can use non-government organizations in maximizing her earnings on her transactions involving the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) or pork barrel of lawmakers.

    According to Luy’s files, Napoles was able to use the DAP funds in her dealings with the senators.

    The DAP, which was recently declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court (SC), was created by the Budget secretary.

    Arroyo said he was convinced that the acceleration program has destroyed the government’s mantra of daang matuwid (straight path) because of the failure of the administration of President Benigno Aquino 3rd to clearly explain where the program funds went.

    “If you can’t explain where the funds went, how can you claim, now, honesty and integrity?” he asked.

    Arroyo said Malacanang should now explain where the funds went and stop avoiding the issue by saying the funds were used in government projects that benefited the people.

    He noted that the administration cannot provide a list of projects that were funded through DAP.

    Malacanang has not come up with plans on how to respond to the unanimous court ruling that declared the DAP as unconstitutional, according to Presidential Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr.

    Also in an interview over state-run Radyo ng Bayan, Coloma on Sunday said Palace lawyers are still sizing up options on whether they should file a motion for reconsideration of the High Court’s decision.

    “The options are still being studied by the government. There is enough time to move and act accordingly on various legal options,” he added.

    It has been nearly a week since the SC handed down its decision on four specific actions in implementation of the controversial program that it found to have violated the Constitution.

    Malacanang has since then been at the receiving end of criticisms amid calls by some sectors for the resignation of Abad and other DAP implementors.

    Palace spokesmen have been passionately shielding the President and the Budget chief from allegations of wrongdoing in the aftermath of the SC ruling.

    Coloma last week declared that Aquino or Malacanang does not need to issue an apology because neither “did nothing wrong.”

    In the same radio interview, he gave assurances that they will face whatever legal setbacks that the death of DAP would entail, including cases that may arise after an audit to be conducted by state auditors.

    “We ensure that in the face of all government moves, we abide by the law. If there would be violations to be discovered after the regular auditing of the Commission on Audit and other investigations, we will still abide by what the law dictates,” Coloma said.

    On reported plans by some groups to file an impeachment case against the President in Congress, he noted that is within the mandate of any member of the House of Representatives to do so.

    “We heard all statements by [congressmen]. What we are saying is that we recognize the right of the members of the chamber to file a petition or motion about impeachment. It is allowed by law. We respect their rights,” Coloma said.

    JOEL M. SY EGCO

    Share.
    loading...
    Loading...

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    11 Comments

    1. I don’t make haste judgement. What I still believe to be the masterminds if not involved in the scam are the senators and congressmen. Why would Abad teach Janet Napoles? What is the intent of dragging Abad but tarnish anybody working for PNoy’s government. There is alway a second story to all of these.

    2. Datingdilaw on

      Planning a motion for reconsideration with a 13-0 ruling??? having so much funds at their disposal can really cloud their minds…

    3. Rein Carnation on

      Straight Path to their pockets. Kung walang kurap walang mahirap. Kaya pala tayo naghihirap, puro sila KURAP !!!!

    4. O ha?

      Sa 2016 wala nang boboto sa mga kandidatong sympathizers ni Pnoy at ng Lapian ng Pork (LP)….no Roxas, no Binay, para naman maipakulong ang mga corrupt na ito na nagsipagnakaw nang higit pa kay Napoles…!

    5. Dapat tutukan natin ang pdaf scam kahit abutin pa ng taon ito.Magdusa sa kulungan sila Napoles at iba pang sangkot dito

    6. Wala dapat makalusot ni isa sa mga sangkot sa pdaf scam.Lalo na ang pamilya ni Napoles.Ikulong sila lahat

    7. If the government cant explain ( with full documentation ) where these dap funds were spent then ti is blatant that they were misused. Or to put it bluntly stolen by the people who had access to it. All government when spending the countries monies account for where it goes, its called expenditure, its the most basic thing that has to be done so people know where their hard earned money is spent. But these filipino governments one after another treat the filipino as an idiot. They feel they can do what they want with the countries money & now have to account for how its spent. They think we are stupid enough to just believe their word, well i for one dont believe their word i want to see proof then i will believe their word on that. But only on where i saw the proof.

    8. E. G. Festin on

      From the very start Aquino and Abad were already following a plan to disguise their corruption with the Tuwid na Daan campaign.

    9. If Abad will be terminated, hell will break loose this is for sure. Do we think that Abad will just accept his faith hands-down? I do not think so. If he will be sent to jail unless he already surrendered to the devil, Prince Abad will start spilling the beans of has cohorts and finger pointing to his fellow frauds and thieves in government.

    10. Purong G.I. on

      I wish us Filipinos are as smart in finding ways to be good-natured citizen and in following our Maker’s teachings than stealing money.

    11. SALVACION CAHAYAG on

      As a Filipino we must let law takes it course. The Supreme Court declared that
      what abnoy and abad did are unconstitutional. Dura Lex Sed Lex(The law is
      harsh but it is the law) & Ignoratia Legis Est Neminem Escusat(Ignorance of
      the law excuses no one from compliance therewith)The decisions of the Supreme
      Court becomes the law of the land. And so, these people who short circuited the
      law like abnoy and abad be held liable and if found guilty, be punished like an
      ordinary criminal. For after all if we allow these to be unpunished then what good
      the laws of this country would be. The Supreme Court already said it is unconstitutional, so what is still needed to prove? The Filipino people should be
      vigilant and see what’s the next move of this government.