RESIDENTS who were affected by Tropical Storm Basyang (Kajiki) have started returning home, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council reported on Sunday.
According to the NDRRMC, as of Sunday morning Basyang had affected 9,105 families, or 42,413 people in 176 villages in 38 towns and seven cities in nine provinces.
It said that the number of those displaced went down to 1,130 families, or 5,646 people, who are now staying in 32 evacuation centers, since some of them have returned home.
The NDRRMC on Saturday said that as many as 3,356 families, or 18,131 people had been displaced by the tropical depression.
According to the NDRRMC, the death toll remained at three as of Sunday.
The fatalities were identified as Jose Haji Aque Babatid, who died from electrocution, as well as Danny Tundag and Dionesio Paler, who both died of drowning.
The NDRRMC also said that several roads and bridges remained impassable in the wake of bad weather conditions brought by Basyang.
These include the Toledo-Tabuelan-San Remegio Road and Cebu Transcentral Highway in Cebu province as well as the Lioan-San Ricardo Road Section boundary of the Southern Leyte-Maasin-Macrohon-Sogod Road junction and Himay-Angan-Silago-Abuyog Road in the province of Leyte.
The NDRRMC also said that Southern Leyte, Bohol and Cebu have been experiencing power outages.