The Office of the Ombudsman has asked the Supreme Court (SC) to reconsider its decision clearing former President Gloria Arroyo of plunder.
In its motion for reconsideration filed Wednesday at the High Court, the Ombudsman insisted that its prosecutors were able to present strong evidence against Arroyo, who was accused of misusing P366 million of the Confidential Intelligence Fund (CIF) of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO).
The High Court, it said, “finds nothing wrong with the irregularity-riddled CIF disbursement and liquidation processes implemented by the concerned PCSO officer, even though this eventually led to the unbridled pilferage of public funds amounting to P365,997,915.”
The Ombudsman said the SC committed grave errors which amount to a violation or deprivation of the state’s right to due process when it dismissed the case against the former leader.
Arroyo, now a congressional representative of Pampanga, was released on July 21 from the Veterans Memorial Medical Center where she had been detained since 2012.
Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales maintained that prosecutors presented strong evidence consisting of 630+ documentary exhibits and the testimony of many witnesses.
“So to us these are exhaustive records which reflect that the prosecution was able to prove the guilt beyond reasonable doubt of the accused,” Morales said.