Revilla asks court to let him visit ailing father


Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. has asked the Sandiganbayan’s First Division for a furlough to visit his father, former senator Ramon Revilla Sr., who was brought to the hospital on Saturday.

Revilla asked the court for permission to let him see his father at St. Luke’s Medical Center Bonifacio Global City in Taguig City (Metro Manila) “as soon as possible” for at least five hours on July 14 or July 15 from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. under terms and conditions that the Sandiganbayan may impose.

In a four-page urgent motion filed on Monday morning, his lawyers said he “feels distraught and concerned about this unfortunate development… especially because of his present detention” adding that “[h]e feels it is his obligation to come to the aid of his father.”

The younger Revilla is detained at the Philippine National Police (PNP) Custodial Center in Camp Crame in Quezon City over a P224-million plunder case he is facing in connection with the pork barrel scam.

His lawyers said he cannot disregard his natural desire to be with his father to provide the latter “the needed assurance and support.”

Revilla thanked the court for allowing him to visit his son Vice Governor Ramon “Jolo” Revilla 3rd last March at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City (Metro Manila) because of an “accidental” gunshot wound on Jolo’s upper right chest.

“In a similar manner, Senator Revilla comes before this Honorable Court, respectfully seeking for this Honorable Court’s compassion and understanding, to allow him, this time to visit and spend a few moments with his ailing and weak father,” his lawyers said.
Revilla learned of the matter on July 11.

Based on the motion, to which a July 12 medical abstract issued by the hospital and prepared by Dr. Ma. Cristina Macrohon-Valdez was attached, the elder Revilla, 88, was admitted to the intensive care unit and diagnosed with: 1) gram negative bacteremia secondary to urosepsis and 2) septic and metabolic encephalopathy secondary to the first diagnosis.

While he has already been moved to a private regular room, the motion stated that “he is still very weak, and is in continuous and close monitoring for possible complications.”


Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.