Rice smugglers caused panic buying

1
Erwin Tulfo

Erwin Tulfo

The Department of Agriculture (DA) and the National Food Authority (NFA) may not know it but a group of rice smugglers orchestrated the rice shortage scenario last week in some parts of Metro Manila.

Advertisements

A highly reliable source within the rice trading business said that the smugglers want to make it appear that rice stocks have been depleted and people were already lining up in the markets or rice outlets that day.

The source said that last week, rice smuggler distributed oodles of money to some barangay officials with the instruction that the money should be given to their constituents to buy rice because there is an impending rice shortage.

The same source said that authorities should go after these two Tsinoy brothers who are involved in rice smuggling and are very upset these days because the Bureau of Customs (BOC)) has seized their recent illegal rice shipment.

These two businessmen, one has the same name as that of a prince while the other has the last name of a local actress for his first name, have applied for grains import permit through their frontman but were denied by the NFA.

Since they were denied of permit to import, the brothers resorted to smuggling and have been in this illegal activity for quite sometime now, the source added.

I hope these brothers will be caught soon and charged with economic sabotage.

After all, they are already filthy rich and made their wealth from smuggling.

* * *

Is Pnoy deaf or simply hardheaded?
Malacanang is unfazed by the prayer rally set today at the EDSA shrine in Edsa, which is expected to be joined by religious, youth, business, and militant groups.

The mass gathering is a spin-off of the Aug. 26 “Million People March” in Luneta calling for the total abolition of the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) or “pork barrel.”

Unfortunately, it seems that President Aquino either did not understand or hear the people’s sentiments since he did not abolish PDAF. Iinstead, he restructured it and plans to rename it.

The people were disappointed and believe that the President dismissed their plea without even studying it.

Presidential Spokesman Abigail Valte said Malacanang is not worried at all of the mass protest today. They are more concerned with the traffic it will cause.

Valte’s statement clearly shows that the administration does not care about the people’s clamor as long as Pnoy and his agenda is not heading on a collision course with his allies in both houses of Congress.

Just in case Valte forgot what the general public wants, its the total abolition of PDAF, Ma’am Abigail.

But knowing Pnoy, what his bosses wants will have to be put in the back burner for now.

What a lame duck President . . . tsk, tsk, tsk.

etulfo2011@yahoo.com

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

1 Comment