TO help address port congestion, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) will temporarily allow cargo and delivery trucks to traverse Roxas Boulevard.
MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino on Friday said the trucks can use the boulevard starting Monday but for a limited time only.
“This is just temporary because of the backlog in the operations of the truckers brought about by the holidays” Tolentino added.
Based on a memorandum circular issued by the MMDA, the trucks can take Roxas Boulevard from 12 midnight. to 5 a.m. only, from February 2 to 15, 2015.
The MMDA chief pointed out that the scheme will not be implemented mornings of February 7 and 14, 2015 as it can worsen the traffic situation during weekends.
Tolentino issued the circular upon request of Secretary Rene Almendras, head of the Cabinet Cluster on Port Congestion.
“I am optimistic that this will somehow contribute to the government’s efforts to decongest the ports,” the MMDA chairman said.
Manila ports were congested because of a 10 holidays last year.
Last December, combined yard utilization of the Manila International Container Terminal (MICT) of the International Container Terminal Services Incorporated (ICTSI) and the Manila South Harbor of Asian Terminals Incorporated (ATI) stood at 81 percent or approximately 66,000 foot equivalent units (TEUs).
The Cabinet Cluster on Port Congestion has set a yard utilization target of 80 percent or approximately 65,200 TEUs.
Also in December last year, MMDA implemented a new truck regulation along Roxas Boulevard in preparation for the Feast of the Black Nazarene (January 9) and the five-day visit of Pope Francis (January 15-19).
The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) is repairing portions of Roxas Boulevard in preparation for the Asia Pacific Economic Conference (APEC) Summit, which will be hosted by the country this year.
“Thereafter, Roxas Boulevard will be prepared and rehabilitated by the DPWH in preparation for the APEC Summit slated this year,” Tolentino said.