S Korea reports first MERS deaths

0
MERS SCARE  SEOUL: A woman wearing a facemask walks through a subway station in Seoul on June 2, 2015. South Korea’s health ministry confirmed that two people have died from Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), the country’s first fatalities from the virus. AFP PHOTO

MERS SCARE
SEOUL: A woman wearing a facemask walks through a subway station in Seoul on June 2, 2015. South Korea’s health ministry confirmed that two people have died from Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), the country’s first fatalities from the virus. AFP PHOTO

SEOUL: South Korea on Tuesday reported its first deaths from MERS, in the largest outbreak outside the Middle East that has infected 25 people and triggered widespread public alarm.

Advertisements

A 58-year-old woman died of acute respiratory failure on Monday and tests later came back positive for the MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) virus, the health ministry said.

The other victim was a 71-year-old man who was confirmed to have the virus several days ago and who died on Tuesday.

The only other fatal case arising from the MERS virus in Asia was a man who died in Malaysia in April 2014.

Six more South Koreans were diagnosed with the MERS virus Monday night, the ministry said, bringing the total number of people infected to 25 including the two deceased.

The first case—a 68-year-old man diagnosed after returning from a trip to Saudi Arabia—was reported on May 20.

Around 750 people who were exposed directly or indirectly to the virus have now been quarantined.

Face mask sales soar
The outbreak has been met with growing public alarm, with online retailers reporting a 700 percent surge in sales of surgical face masks over the weekend.

On Seoul stock markets, share prices of some pharmaceutical firms jumped by the daily limit of 15 percent on Tuesday, while those of airline and travel operators took a dive.

Concerns will be further fuelled by the health ministry’s announcement that two of the new cases involved tertiary infections.

Previously, all the infections had involved patients in the same hospital as the initial carrier, their relatives or hospital staff with whom he came into contact.

“We are tracking down additional cases (of tertiary infection) . . . with the possibility of more new infections in mind,” said Kwon Jun-Wook, a senior health ministry official leading an emergency task force team.

More are expected to be quarantined or put under observation, Kwon said, adding that some 240 people had been banned from traveling overseas.

‘Inefficient’ response
Acting Prime Minister Choi Kyung-Hwan vowed “all-out efforts” to curb the spread of the virus.

“People believe that the health authorities’ response has been inefficient and poor,” Choi said in an emergency meeting with top health officials.

“We should use all our national resources to alleviate public concerns,” he said.

One primary school in Gyeonggi province, located near the hospital where the female victim died, closed down temporarily on Tuesday as parents withdrew their children.

AFP

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.