WORLD Boxing Organization (WBO) minimum weight champion Merlito Sabillo is focusing on defense and strategies for his upcoming first title defense on July 6 possibly at the Solaire Resort and Casino in Entertainment City in Macapal Avenue Pasay City.
The undefeated Sabillo, 29, will face 24-year-old Colombian Jorle Estrada (16-6 win-loss card with five knockouts) in a voluntary defense.
But Sabillo’s head trainer and ALA promotion overall coach Edito Villamor said the Bacolod City fighter is now concentrating more on his counter-punching style and offense since they are already finished with the conditioning side.
“Sabillo becomes stronger and faster. He looks so good now and we’re taking care right now of the game plan,” Villamor told the Manila Times in a phone interview Wednesday morning. “He is very inspired right now after his fellow boxers won last week.”
Sabillo’s fellow boxers WBO Oriental welterweight champion Jimrex Jaca, Genesis Servania and WBO light welterweight international champion Jason Pagara won their respective fights last Saturday in Pinoy Pride XX at the Waterfront Hotel in Cebu City.