SC clears Sulpicio owner in ferry sinking

4
 The bow of the MV Princess of the Stars juts above the waters off central Sibuyan island on June 23, 2008. Many people were trapped inside the ferry which sank amid a typhoon on June 20, 2008.  AFP PHOTO FILE PHOTO

The bow of the MV Princess of the Stars juts above the waters off central Sibuyan island on June 23, 2008. Many people were trapped inside the ferry which sank amid a typhoon on June 20, 2008. AFP PHOTO FILE PHOTO

The Supreme Court has exonerated from criminal liability Edgar S. Go, the owner of the MV Princess of the Stars, an interisland ferry that sank in 2008, killing more than 800 people.

Advertisements

In a Minute Resolution penned by Associate Justice Estela Perlas-Bernabe, the Court affirmed the findings of the Court of Appeals that there was no probable cause to charge Go for the crime of reckless imprudence resulting in multiple homicide and physical injuries.

The Court said the CA was correct in ruling that Go’s act of allowing the officers of the vessel “to decide whether to set sail or not and, thereafter, failing to instruct them to seek shelter or drop anchor in the face of the storm, did not render him criminally liable.”

Thus, the High Court said Go’s liability can only be civil and not criminal in nature.
The families of the victims had brought criminal charges against Go.

“The shipowner’s liability for the death of or injuries to passengers resulting from the negligence of the ship captain, with or without concurring negligence on the part of the shipowner, arises from the contract of carriage, hence, civil in nature.

While the provisions of Article 2206 of the Civil Code have been made applicable to such instances, the same did not change the nature of the ship owner’s obligation from civil to criminal,” the Supreme Court said.

The Princess of the Stars sailed for Cebu from Manila on June 20, 2008 with 849 people, 709 of them passengers. The ship capsized in the Sibuyan Sea the next day after being battered by Typhoon Frank. Only 32 people survived.

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

4 Comments

  1. jose hernani m. parco on

    starting with the Dona Paz sea tragedy and up to the present, how many Filipinos have this Sulpicio Lines KILLED so far? in the thousands right?!

    to date, how many Filipinos have the BNPP, KILLED SO FAR?!

  2. This is corruption mga kababayan,the judiciary is corrupt,kaya mabagal ang hustisya o abswelto yong mga may malaking pera.It takes a thief to catch thief kaya kailangan ang congressional hearing to investigate the judiciary.

  3. This kind of decisions is another black-eye to the courts and the government. Sulpicio Lines is very notorious in shipping disasters yet they continue to escape criminal liability to those poor travelers who trust their vessels. This is the 9th time that a Sulpicio Lines vessel is involved in another disaster yet, they are almost always exonerated. Why will the government continue to allow Sulpicio vessels to keep on plying in our waters when they are always involved in various kind of disasters?