CAIRO, Qahirah: Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood said at least 250 people were killed and over 5,000 injured Wednesday in a police crackdown on two major protest camps held by supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi.
“250+ confirmed deaths. Drs saying most critical patients will die from their bullet wounds. over 5000 wounded. biggest massacre since #coup,” Brotherhood spokesman Gehad al-Haddad said on Twitter.
There was no independent confirmation of the Brotherhood toll.
An Agence France-Presse correspondent at the Rabaa al-Adawiya protest camp had counted 17 bodies at the makeshift morgue there.
Egypt’s interior ministry said security forces have “total control” over the smaller of two protest camps in an operation on Wednesday to clear away supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi.
Al-Nahda Square was “totally under control” and “police forces have managed to remove most of the tents in the square,” the ministry said.
A security official told Agence France-Presse that dozens of Morsi supporters had been arrested with the help of residents from the area.
Television footage showed protesters who had been rounded up sitting in the ground handcuffed and surrounded by security forces.
Families, who included children, were seen being escorted out of the square by police.