• Search for missing Malaysian plane stopped anew

    0

    SYDNEY: The aerial search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 was suspended on Tuesday because of a tropical cyclone, but not before several aircraft had departed on the mission, officials said.

    Up to 10 military aircraft had been scheduled to fly over the Indian Ocean in hopes of spotting clues as to the fate of the Boeing 777, which vanished on March 8 carrying 239 people.

    “Planned air search activities have been suspended for today due to poor weather conditions in the search area as a result of Tropical Cyclone Jack,” the Joint Agency Coordination Centre said, adding that 10 ships in the search zone would continue their work.

    “It has been determined that the current weather conditions are resulting in heavy seas and poor visibility, and would make any air search activities ineffective and potentially hazardous,” it added.

    JACC later advised that prior to the decision to suspend search activities, four military aircraft had departed Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Base Pearce for the 49,491 square kilometer (19,108 square mile) visual search zone.

    “One RAAF E7 Wedgetail aircraft to support air-space deconfliction had also departed RAAF Base Learmonth,” it said.

    “These aircraft will continue with their missions, however, individual aircraft captains will assess the conditions once on station and use their discretion as to whether they continue their planned search activities or return to base,” it added.

    Australia is leading the hunt for the aircraft which disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing and is believed to have crashed into the Indian Ocean.

    No debris has yet been found from the plane and authorities say their best lead has been signals picked up by a black box locator.

    Australia’s Ocean Shield has deployed an underwater autonomous vehicle (UAV) to scour the seabed at a depth of some 4,500 meters (15,000 feet) in the vicinity of these signals, hoping to find wreckage of the missing plane.

    But Prime Minister Tony Abbott suggested last week that the submersible Bluefin-21 would only be deployed for about a week, and the sonar scanning device has already covered two-thirds of the search zone without result.

    AFP

    Share.
    loading...
    Loading...

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    Comments are closed.