MIKE KONCZ, Manny Pacquiao’s long-time adviser, is scheduled to fly to the United States on June 18, to talk to different boxing promotions including Golden Boy of Oscar De La Hoya in Los Angeles to arrange who Pacman’s next opponent would be in November.
“We really want the next fight [Pacquiao’s fight in November] to be much more exciting and entertaining than his previous fights,” Koncz told The Manila Times on Tuesday in a phone interview. “I’m going to see what the Golden Boy have and I believe there are plenty of choices now.”
Among the prospects in the Golden Boy stable are Mexican Saul Canelo Alvarez, British Amir Khan, Argentine Marcos Maidana and American Danny Garcia.
Koncz said that the resignation last week of Richard Schaefer as Golden Boy Promotion CEO could make negotiations easier but added that they can’t reveal yet the list of their possible choices.
De La Hoya announced last week that he already ended the “cold war” between him and Bob Arum, which prompted the resignation of Schaefer who doesn’t want to work with Top Rank’s head honcho.
Koncz said that he’s not seeing a fifth fight happening between Pacman and Juan Manuel Marquez. “As what I’ve told you before, we are not interested and we don’t even considered it [Pacquiao-Marquez 5].”
Meanwhile, Prince Amir Shafipour, a fight promoter from the United Arab Emirates said that the most awaited fight between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather, Jr. might happen in Dubai.
“I will honestly and truthfully tell you that if anyone can convince them to fight, and to fight in Dubai, I can. I have a lot of worldwide connections, with managers, promoters, fighters, people in the business, who speak the same language that Mayweather and Pacquiao are speaking,” Prince Shafipour said in an interview by Gulf News.