DON’T forget your best friends this holiday season. Even those with four legs deserve a special present under the tree. Fortunately, according to DIY expert Brit Morin, you can spoil your pets without spoiling your budget.
Every December, Morin combines her crafting skills and creativity to make homemade gifts for her adopted dog, Hoover.
This year, she’s teaming up with PetSmart Charities to share her tips on how to pamper your pets. “I’m excited to team up with PetSmart Charities to teach pet parents creative projects to do for their pets this holiday season,” said Morin, founder of Brit + Co. “Having pets myself, I love giving ideas on how to show adopted pets how special they are in simple and affordable ways.”
Five holiday DIY ideas for pet lovers
1. DIY pet pillows: Turn Fido’s photo into a decorative pillow for your home-all you need is iron-on transfer paper, fabric and a sewing machine. If you’re not up for the sewing task, you can iron the photo onto an existing pillow or pillowcase to spruce up his bed or crate.
2. Paw print stamps: You can turn your pet’s paw print into art by stamping his or her print on a poster or wrapping paper. Turn a plain pattern into a masterpiece sure to please any pet lover on your holiday gift list.
3. DIY photo ornaments: Make your pet the star of your tree this holiday. Start with a clear ornament and print out a card-stock photo of your pet to include. Adorn with confetti for a festive touch.
4. Homemade holiday treats: Every dog or cat deserves a yummy treat, and you can bake some with love. A delicious recipe for Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Treat is at www.brit.co/pumpkin-peanut-butter-dog-treats/. They even make a great stocking stuffer.
5. Etched glass treat jars: Make a personalized gift your cat or dog will love by etching his or her name onto a clear treat jar full of his favorite goodies.
You can see the full projects at www.petsmartcharities.org/holiday-happy-home. North American Precis Syndicate