• Security forces hold Malaysian linked to rebel attacks

    1

    ZAMBOANGA CITY: Authorities on Wednesday confirmed the arrest of a Malaysian in a raid on a house frequented by former rebel chieftain Nur Misuari, whose forces attacked this city in September.

    Police said the Malaysian, Koh Wui Chick, who is using the aliases Samson Jose Konde and Atchong, was brought to Manila where he is currently being investigated.

    “The Malaysian is now in the custody of the Philippine National Police in Manila and he is currently being investigated in connection to the MNLF [Moro National Liberation Front] attacks in Zamboanga,” Chief Insp. Ariel Huesca, a regional police spokesman, told The Manila Times.

    President Benigno Aquino 3rd earlier ordered an investigation in the MNLF attacks in Zamboanga and who financed the rebels to carry out the raid. There were media reports that some Filipino politicians may have financed the violence to discredit the Aquino government and that several Malaysians had met with rebel leaders prior to the attacks.

    Early this year, another Malaysian, who allegedly helped in negotiating with Abu Sayyaf rebels for the release of 21 mostly European holidaymakers kidnapped in Sabah in 2001, was spotted in Zamboanga City and Manila at the height of the standoff between armed followers of the Sultanate of Sulu who intruded in Sabah’s Lahad Datu town.

    It was unknown whether Koh had a direct participation in the simultaneous raid by rebels on September 9, but it sparked deadly street battles that lasted for three weeks. The fighting left over 400 people dead and wounded and resulted in a humanitarian crisis.

    Malaysia has confirmed the arrest of one of its nationals and said the 55-year-old man is from Kota Kinabalu in the eastern state of Sabah.

    “The arrest of the Malaysian man followed the action taken by the Philippine security forces against individuals suspected of being involved in the armed attacks launched by MNLF fighters in Zamboanga City on September 9,” Director General, Datuk Mohammad Mantek, of the Eastern Sabah Security Command, told the official Malaysian news agency Bernama.

    Mohammad did not give details about the arrested Malaysian, saying Filipino authorities are still investigating the man. It was not immediately known whether the foreigner had funded the rebel attacks in Zamboanga City.

    The attacks prompted Malaysian authorities to tighten security in Sabah to prevent the intrusion of rebels.

    “So far, no security threats to Sabah have been detected but we are intensifying security measures along eastern Sabah’s border waters nevertheless,” Mohammad said, adding Malaysian security forces are ready to collaborate with the Philippines if there is a need. “We have no problem in extending cooperation due to our good relations with the Philippine government.”

    Share.
    loading...
    Loading...

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    1 Comment

    1. The question here is not who financed the MNLF BUT WHY THIS INCIDENT HAPPENED right in the eyes of Generals ARDO, VANO, COL MALAYO, NICA Director SALAZAR and Mayor SALAZAR of Zamboanga City withou doing their jobs to PREVENT this incident but rather allowed it to happened because they are SLEEPING on their job for having no INTELLIGENCE INFORMATIONS about the stockpiling of Firearms and Ammunition by the MNLF since January 2013 until the actual siege on September 2013. Why is President Aquino is so silent to have this investigated and JAIL those incompetent Govt officials who did nothing to prevent Malik’s MNLF forces to land by boat in the coastal do Zambo City. This is the big question President Noy why this did happened and if not for this incompetent govt official who neglected their duties to protect the people and its properties this thing won’t happened. Is pres Noy has a knowledge before that this will happened? Please investigate this because the victims of this atrocities are asking for an Answer and not who financed it. It’s very clear that there was a FAILURE of INTELLIGENCE! During the time of Pres Marcos every movement of the MNLF in Zambo City are detected and a coarse of action is being done immediately to prevent any attack by the MNLF. JAIL those who neglected their jobs for being incompetent. Where’s the intelligence fund?