GROSSETO: The trial of cruise ship captain Francesco Schettino resumed on Wednesday, with the defendant dubbed “Italy’s most hated man” facing 20 years in prison for a spectacular 2012 wreck in which 32 people lost their lives.
Schettino is accused of multiple manslaughter, abandoning ship and causing environmental damage over the Costa Concordia disaster off the island of Giglio.
“We’re here today to get justice,” Francesco Di Ciollo, who represents two Italian families, said ahead of the start of the hearing in Grosseto—the city nearest to the crash site.
“Survivors have to live with anxiety for the rest of their lives. There was darkness, panic, they were stranded inside without a way out,” he said.
The trial began last week but was immediately postponed due to a lawyers’ strike and could last for months.
“We’re expecting it to last more than a year,” said Massimiliano Gabrielli, a lawyer for some of the survivors.
The Costa Concordia crashed off Giglio on the night of January 13, 2012 with 4,229 people from 70 countries on board, killing 32 people.
Schettino was nicknamed “Captain Coward” for leaving while terrified people were trapped aboard the cruise liner and then sobbing in the arms of the ship’s chaplain.
But some lawyers have been saying he should not be the sole defendant and Costa Crociere, Europe’s biggest cruise operator, should share the blame.
Gabrielli, part of a group called “Justice for the Concordia”, accused Costa of “choosing to save the ship instead of saving people”—a reference to the delay of over an hour between the crash and the order to abandon ship.
Gabrielli also said Costa had scored “an own-goal” by accepting limited responsibility as Schettino’s employer before the start of the trial and agreeing to pay a fine, pointing out this could open the way for further legal action against Costa.
Schettino’s lawyers, Domenico and Francesco Pepe, have called for 100 witnesses and pledged to show that “no single person was responsible.”