The four-hour rotating power interruption in the entire province of Cavite that lasted for six days has now ended, the country’s largest power retailer said.
Manila Electric Co. (Meralco) spokesman Joe Zaldarriaga said in a text message to The Manila Times that the four-hour rotating brownouts started November 22, Friday last week has already ended on Wednesday, six days after two of the transformer banks operated by the country’s power grid operator caught fire.
On November 21, Thursday, at about 10:45 a.m., the 300-MVA transformer no. 5 of the National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP) caught fire, which led to the subsequent outage of another 300-MVA transformer no. 4 (T04).
In a text message, NGCP spokesman Cynthia Alabanza said the investigation as to the cause of the fire is still ongoing.
According to Zaldarriaga, the incident required Meralco to tap power supply for Cavite from the company’s substation in Amadeo, Cavite.
However, the capacity of the substation is not enough to provide electricity to the entire province, thus, Meralco was forced to implement four-hour rotating brownouts, which started exactly at 7 a.m. on Friday.
Areas that were affected by the four-hour power interruptions are Alfonso, Amadeo, Dasmariñas, General Emilio Aguinaldo, General Trias, Magallanes, Maragondon, Naic, Noveleta, Rosario, Silang, Tanza, and Ternate.
On Wednesday, NGCP specifically reported that it is already done with the restoration of the Dasmariñas Substation in Cavite and successfully energized a new 300-megavolt ampere Transformer No. 9.
NGCP installed the new transformer, which was originally scheduled to be commissioned next year, as a replacement for the damaged T04 transformer.
Madelaine B. Miraflor