SEOUL: The trial of disgraced former South Korean president Park Geun-Hye will proceed without her, a court said Tuesday, following a hiatus of more than 40 days as she boycotted proceedings.
Park, who was ousted earlier this year over a sprawling corruption scandal, has refused to appear for her trial, angry at the court’s decision last month to extend her detention by six months.
The ex-president’s legal team quit last month over the decision, accusing the court of bias. Park has since refused to cooperate with a team of state-sponsored defense lawyers appointed by the court, and failed to appear for her trial on Monday and Tuesday.
“We have a lot of things to do, including the questioning of many witnesses. Taking into account the limited time… we cannot delay the trial any longer,” presiding judge Kim Se-Yoon said Tuesday.
The court-appointed defense lawyers repeatedly sought to interview Park at the detention center where she is being held, but she refused to see them, the Yonhap news agency said.