About 500 sacks of rice smuggled to the country from China were seized on Tuesday by the combined elements of the Bureau of Customs and the National Food Authority (NFA) in Binondo, Manila. The NFA said that it has not issued any permit to import rice from China. NFA counsel, lawyer Anna Coronel, said the same kind and brand of rice were also confiscated earlier in a raid in Cartimar, Pasay City. Customs Deputy Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno admitted there were lapses on enforcement rules and that somebody within the bureau could have also facilitated the transaction. All rice imported under the 2015 Minimum Access Volume program shall be levied with a tariff of 35 percent to be paid in advance to the Land Bank of the Philippines, with the bureau making the final assessment and valuation.