Filipino-Chinese traders have asked Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas 2nd to solve kidnappings in the country, particularly those involving members of their group.
In a forum held at the Federation of Filipino-Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry Inc. (FFCCCII) in Binondo, Manila, Alfonso Siy, group president, said they are alarmed by the unsolved abduction cases involving some of their members.
He cited the case of Johnson Cuiting, who was abducted on Jan. 7, 2009 and remains missing up to now.
Cuiting’s sister, Nitz Carvajal, said her brother was kidnapped in Surigao City and the criminals later demanded a P10 million ransom.
“However, we lost the abductors’ cell phone numbers. Since then, we have not received any information,” Carvajal told The Manila Times.
“I even went to Surigao City, but when I inquired if there was any development (on the case), I was told that there was no complainant that’s why the investigation was not moving,” she said.
Carvajal said she also sought the help of the National Bureau of Investigation and the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group in Camp Crame, but the authorities were allegedly asking her for money so they could move.
“I was asking them how much they needed, but they were silent as to the amount,” she told Roxas crying.
Roxas vowed to do everything in his power to solve the case.
Meanwhile, members of the Movement for Restoration of Peace and Order (MRPO) led by Teresita Ang-See told the police officials to stop harassing or threatening them, saying the MRPO members do not know whom to call in those occasions when they need help.
“We don’t want to be harassed and threatened. We are afraid to report to the police,” one MRPO member who asked not to be identified said.
Records show that of the 50 kidnapping incidents last year, 17 involved Filipino-Chinese, and there were times that the victim was killed despite an ongoing negotiation. In some cases, ransoms were paid, but the victims were still murdered, according to MRPO.