INCOMING Senate Majority Leader Vicente Sotto 3rd on Monday expressed serious concerns over reported “midnight resolutions” at the Department of Justice (DOJ) and insisted that all “last-minute” resolutions must be recalled.
But aside from taking back such resolutions, Sotto said an investigation of the alleged controversy should also be conducted by incoming DOJ Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre.
Sotto was reacting to a recent revelation made by anti-corruption watchdog Filipino Alliance for Transparency and Empowerment (FATE) that DOJ rulings are allegedly being “rewritten,” “antedated” and being sold to parties in cases.
FATE secretary general Jo Perez said “rewritten rulings” were being “antedated” and being sold for “millions of pesos” to parties in the cases.
Perez, however, did not name names but claimed that the resolutions were being sold from P5 million to as high as P20 million depending on how big a case is.
Outgoing Justice Secretary Emmanuel Caparas had denied FATE’s allegations and maintained that the resolutions were issued in compliance with deadlines and to resolve backlog of cases.
Caparas, who will be ending his tenure on June 30, challenged the group to face him and show him what they are talking about.
“A full-blown investigation by Secretary Aguirre should be the order of the day. Recall all last-minute resolutions,” Sotto said.
Aguirre last week said he would look into the controversy but he also wants FATE to provide evidence that would back its claims.