It’s about time to create a special court that will “exclusively” hear the Maguindanao massacre case, Sen. Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said on Tuesday.
Marcos made the proposal as the country commemorated on Monday the 6th anniversary of the November 23, 2009 massacre where 58 persons were brutally and helplessly killed.
“A special court that will hear no other case is needed to expedite the proceedings. It has been dragging for six long years now,” he said in a statement.
The Maguindanao massacre, where 32 of the victims were journalists, is considered as the deadliest single attack on media in the world.
The case is pending at the Quezon City Regional Trial Court and the alleged mastermind, Andal Ampatuan Sr., had already died of illness.
“At least 197 are accused, but six years after the killings, not a single of them has been convicted while the relatives of the victims are beginning to lose hope that justice will be served,” Marcos noted.
He said the special court will be abolished when the massacre case is resolved.