“Achieving a greater awareness of the past, we clarify the present; digging deeper into the meaning of what has gone before, we discover the meaning of the future; looking backward, we move forward.”
The past of Duterte in Davao City is at best gruesome. To be poor and defenseless in Duterte’s city is unimaginable. It could compare with the worst of times in Russia during Stalin, in so far as killing is concerned. It could compare with Hitler’s Germany, in so far as killing of millions of Germans. Within our neighboring countries, it could compare with Pol Pot’s killing fields in Kampuchea where even to wear eyeglasses was a crime.
How duterte differs from Hitler, stalin and pol pot
That in effect is Duterte in a capsule. There are differences however between him and the leaders of those countries are concerned. First, the thinking of Duterte as shown in his statements appears to be that of a low level human with an ideological philosophy of an American gangster. In the case of Stalin, his ideological underpinning is that of great intellectuals like Marx, Engels and Lenin. In the case of Hitler, his theory of a great master race had Friedrich Nietzsche for support, a Third Reich that could last for a thousand years and the dream of the German people to recover their national honor from the debacle of the First World War. In the case of Pol Pot, his ideological foundation was a dream for the restoration of a great empire that produced engineering, architectural and artistic wonders like Angkor Wat.
Second, the area Duterte rules is as small as a soup bowl if you are to compare it with Russia or the Soviet Union of Stalin; Germany of Hitler and his conquered countries during the Second World War; and Kampuchea of Pol Pot with his Khmer Rouge. It takes a pygmy to control Davao City; it takes political giants to rule Russia and the Soviet Union, Germany and Kampuchea.
Third, the language Duterte uses to convince his audiences is the lingo of the street corner gangster and the bluster of the barangay toughie. The language and style of Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot were charismatic with an intellectual ring making their respective country march behind them – reminiscent of the rhetoric of Cicero and the oratorical tidal wave of a Demosthenes.
Fourth, there is no taint of moral tone and civility in the Duterte language; it is vulgar and visibly pedestrian, an insult and embarrassment to an educated and civilized audience. The three national leaders had moral moorings in their language; were civilized and intellectual.
Duterte’s similarities With other serial killers
Duterte has similarities with the other compared serial killers. They used serial killing as a methodical instrument of eliminating their enemies. They had no qualms about killing as an instrument of effective governance and subjugation.
And now back to questions for duterte
The large number of questions is a tribute to the myth created by him and his idolaters about the boy man Duterte. But many of the questions are rhetorical; they need no answers since the replies are obvious. Nevertheless, these are questions Duterte must answer, if he wants to be President.
In our last Thursday’s column, we ended with question 18, now we resume with question 19.
19. Since you authorize the police, the military and even the citizen to kill criminals, is this not authorizing them to kill you because by then you would have become the country’s Number One Criminal?
20. Will your presidency, God forbid that it comes, not make our country the Number One Criminal country in the world – worse than Syria, Yemen, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Libya and what have you?
21. Will not institutionalized killing make the tourist industry a thing of the past except for visiting thrill killers?
22. In other countries like Japan, any hint of criminal misbehavior, which is a part of your system, of a public official, would compel him to commit hara-kiri or seppuku or both. Will you commit hara-kiri or seppuku or both?
23. A leader should lead by example, especially for the young, how can you be a good example when you are telling them to kill criminals, without due process, which is against the law?
24. How you can we have good lawyers in the country when you do not believe in due process, which is the heart of our constitutional system?
25. You refused to finish the Davao City Convention Center on your claim that it was attended by graft and corruption. Were you able to catch and convict the grafters and the corrupt?
On your claim of a simple life:
26. When you were still pretending to be undecided to run for President because you had no money to mount a presidential run, you were traveling around in style in the jet of your religious leader, Quiboloy, with the support of your businessmen cronies of Davao City.
Why did you claim in your speech at Bonbon, Catarman, Camiguin, that you have BARS OF GOLD WORTH FIFTEEN BILLION PESOS?
27. With your salary as city mayor, what did you do to acquire BILLIONS OF PESOS?
28. Is it true that you have a criminal case involving graft and corruption? If so, what is it all about and what is the status of the case?
29. Is it true that you have cornered the gold produced from Mount Diwalwal and you export it to China?
30. How much money have you have made out of this activity and how much taxes did you pay?
On your campaign contributors:
31. Who are your rich Davao campaign contributors other than Quiboloy and Paul Dominguez? How much as of today have they contributed to your campaign?
32. You went to Hong Kong in the early stage of the campaign. Is it true you went there to meet your big Chinese contributors? How much did they contribute? Who are they?
33. It is reported that you went to Saudi Arabia several days ago. Is it true you went there to meet your rich Arab contributors? If so, how much did they contribute and who are they?
34. Do you know it is prohibited by law to solicit elections funds from foreigners?
35. Do you know it is prohibited by law to receive election funds foreigners?
36. How do you expect to be a good President when you violate so many laws as your whims dictate?
On your morals
36. You admit to having two wives, a number of girl friends, kissing and fondling women in public to satisfy your libidinous desire because this is part of biology. Do you realize that these admissions indicate a low respect for women and high degree of immorality?
37. How can you expect citizens, especially the young, to respect our laws when you are an immoral law violator – an admitted bigamist, an admitted adulterer, an admitted molester of women?
38. You claim to be a Roman Catholic. What kind of a Roman Catholic are you when just for a traffic jam you had the effrontery to curse Pope Francis? And are a bigamist, an adulterer and a molester of women?
39. Why did you make a stupid declaration that you will destroy the Catholic Church? Didn’t you know that kings and potentates of empires could not do it even in two thousand years?
On your rebel connections:
40. You claim to be friends of the CPP-NPA rebels and there is unconfirmed information that you contribute to them, is this true?
41. If this is true, do you know that under Article 114 of the Revised Penal Code, giving aid and comfort to the enemy of the Republic is treason and your action makes you a traitor to the country?
42. Similarly, Muslim rebels, specifically the Mindanao National Liberation Front,(MNLF) endorsed you for President and threaten that if you do not elected, they will intensify their campaign to topple the government. Did you accept such endorsement?
43. If you did accept the support of the Muslim rebels, do you know that this violates Article 114 of the Revised Penal Code and that it makes you a traitor to the country? Can you ever imagine a traitor as President of our country?
On your inconsistencies
You have many inconsistencies but the most glaring are the following:
44. In the course of your campaign and in your usual bragging moment, you said the moment you get to be President you will immediately send Jojo Binay to jail, yet in the recent Cebu City presidential debate, you endorsed Binay for President as an alternative to you, how can you explain this inconsistency?
45. Early on you said you will declare a revolutionary government when you become President. Why did you change your mind?
* * *
It’s just a few days between now and May 9, 2016. Listening to Duterte talk gives you the feeling that you are in an insane asylum. Considering his popularity, it is not impossible that he can be President. If that happens, we will be living in an insane country with a National Psychiatrist as a member of the Cabinet.