Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. is not about to give up the fight.
His camp on Tuesday sought to stop the quick counts conducted by the Parish Pastoral Council for Responsible Voting (PPCRV) as well as the Commission on Elections (Comelec), citing various discrepancies in the remaining 10 percent of votes.
His campaign adviser, Jonathan de la Cruz, presented to the media former Biliran Province congressman Glen Chong, who in 2010 was a victim of the same scheme wherein from midnight till early morning, his lead in the canvassing was overtaken mysteriously.
Marcos was leading in all quick counts after the closure of polling precincts on Monday.
He was leading at one point by more than one million votes against his closest rival, Camarines Sur Rep. Leni Robredo.
At 10 p.m., however, glitches occurred and the counting stagnated for some time.
“When it resumed, slowly the lead was reducing non-stop every after new transmission until it showed that Leni was ahead by 200,000 votes when we woke up,” Chong said.
Among the networks doing separate quick counts are CNN Philippines, ABS-CBN and various radio networks.
PPCRV is Church-affiliated and accredited by the Comelec to do the quick count.
De la Cruz said he is sure Marcos will win.
“Our internal survey is quite reflective of the Social Weather Stations exit polls, which showed that Sen. Marcos led the vice presidential survey with 34.9 percent as against Rep. Leni Robredo’s 32.5 percent,” he said.
According to de la Cruz, the scheme is similar to dagdag-bawas (vote padding-vote shaving).
Aside from an end to the quick counts, Marcos also asked the poll body to identify the areas where the Comelec has been experiencing difficulty in transmitting results.
As of Tuesday afternoon, some areas in Laoag City, Ilocos Norte, and other parts of Northern Luzon, such as Abra, had difficulty in transmissions, just like in polling precincts under the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao or ARMM.
De la Cruz said 4.5 million votes more or less are still unaccounted for, and it could still change the outcome of the vice presidential race.
“The quick counts do not show the real and actual votes. There are so many that [are]yet to be sent like 11 percent from Ilocos Sur, 11 percent from La Union, 12 percent from Nueva Vizcaya, as well those from Lanao del Norte and Sultan Kudarat,” he added.
Also on Tuesday, corps commanders of University of the Philippines campuses, who call themselves Youth for Duterte, urged the Comelec to hold a recount of the votes for Vice President, saying they do not like Robredo to win because “she is a threat to the Duterte presidency.”
“The Plan B which Senator Marcos had exposed last week is now happening. After they had given up hope on their presidential bet [Manuel Roxas 2nd], they want to retain hold of Malacañang Palace by ousting Duterte and replace him with Robredo through impeachment,” said corps commanders Ronald Cardama, John Sun Patriarca, Billy Villareal and Vincit Tagoe.