BEIRUT: Lebanon on Friday mourned 43 people killed in south Beirut in a twin bombing claimed by the Islamic State group, the bloodiest such attack in years.
The Red Cross said at least 239 people were also wounded, several in critical condition, in the blasts that hit a busy shopping street in the Burj al-Barajneh neighborhood, where the Shiite Hezbollah movement is popular.
The attack harked back to a campaign against the group between 2013 and 2014, ostensibly in revenge for its military support of regime forces in neighboring Syria’s civil war.
But it was the largest attack ever claimed by IS in Lebanon, and among the deadliest bombings to hit the country since the end of the 1975-1990 civil war.
On Friday, families prepared to collect the bodies of loved ones from hospitals as the country observed a day of national mourning declared by Prime Minister Tammam Salam.
Schools were closed for the day, and politicians across Lebanon’s fractured political spectrum offered condemnations of the attack.
The blasts ripped through a street market in the poor, mainly Shiite Muslim neighborhood, staining the ground red with blood and gutting several surrounding shops.
The army said two suicide bombers carried out the attack, and that the body of a third who failed to detonate his explosive device was found at the scene of the second blast.
But IS gave a different version in a statement claiming responsibility for the attack that circulated online.
It said “soldiers of the Caliphate” first detonated explosives planted on a motorbike on the street.
“After the apostates gathered in the area, one of the knights of martyrdom detonated his explosive belt in the midst of them,” the statement added.
It made no reference to Hezbollah’s involvement in Syria, much of which is under IS control, instead using starkly sectarian language and derogatory terms for Shiite Muslims.
The Sunni extremist group considers members of the sect, as well as others who stray from its interpretation of Islam, to be apostates.
The statement could not be independently verified, but it followed the usual format of IS claims of responsibility and was circulated on jihadist online accounts.
Local television stations showed footage after the blast of the wounded being carried away.
“I carried four bodies with my own hands, three women and a man, a friend of mine,” a man who gave his name as Zein al-Abideen Khaddam told local television.
Another described the sound of the explosions: “When the second blast went off, I thought the world had ended.”
Former Lebanese premier Saad Hariri, who leads a political bloc opposed to Hezbollah and its allies, called the attack “vile and unjustified.”
World leaders also condemned the bombings, which French President Francois Hollande called “despicable.”
The White House offered its condolences, vowing, “Such acts of terror only reinforce our commitment to support the institutions of the Lebanese state.”
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon urged Lebanon “not allow this despicable act to destroy the relative calm that has prevailed in the country over the past year.”
The blasts were the first to target a Hezbollah stronghold since mid-2014, after a campaign of such attacks in 2013 and 2014.
In the last, in the southern suburbs of Beirut in June last year, a suicide car bomb killed a security officer.