Suspect in killing of Bataan newsman fallsJanuary 16, 2014 8:17 pm
BALANGA City, Bataan: After eight years, the long arm of the law finally caught up on Thursday with the suspected killer of a local reporter in 2006.
Police Senior Supt. Aude Atienza, Bataan police director, said combined elements of the Philippine National Police arrested Nestor Nazareno, 57, at his residence in barangay Poblacion, Morong, Bataan at dawn of Thursday.
“Si Nestor Nazareno is No. 5 on the 10 Most Wanted Persons list ina Bataan and is the primary suspect for the murder of Gary Aquino in 2006,” the police provincial director said.
Nazareno allegedly shot at the reporter at a cockpit in Morong, Bataan February of 2006. The victim sustained gunshot wounds in different parts of the body and died on the spot.
The suspect is the subject of a warrant of arrest issued in 2006 by Branch 2 of the Regional Trial Court in Balanga City, Bataan.
Intelligence officer SPO3 Danilo Nazareno said Nazareno tried to elude arrest but alert operatives caught up at him.
Nazareno was team leader of operatives from the provincial Intelligence Branch, Criminal Intelligence and Detection Group, Police Public Safety Office, Morong police and R-2 members from Region 3 in San Fernando, Pampanga.
“We are happy that Aquino will now be given justice,” DZRH provincial correspondent Danny Cumilang said.
Aquino of Morong town was a member of the Central Luzon Media Association and wrote for some provincial weeklies in Central Luzon. He was also a team leader of DZRH Operation Tulong, Cumilang said.
Nazareno, son of a former police chief of Morong, joined the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army, after his father was killed by the Communist rebels, the police provincial director said.
At a Glance
- DOLE HELPS FLORIDA BUS DRIVERS, CONDUCTORS
- PMA CADETS VISIT EASTERN MINDANAO COMMAND
- NPA CLAIMS RESPONSIBILITY FOR RAID IN DAVAO OCCIDENTAL
- MAGUINDANAO TO BUILD P200M SPORTS COMPLEX
- UNIDENTIFIED GUNMEN ROB VAN IN CAVITE
- SUSPECT IN MAGUINDANAO MASSACRE TRANSFERRED TO CAMP BAGONG DIWA
- SON OF ZAMBO GAS STATION OWNER FREED
- PEACE ALLIANCE FORMED IN MINDANAO
- IMPARTIAL PROBE OF ABRA MASSACRE URGED
- DEPED LEADS GRADUATION RITES IN ZAMBO-SIEGE AFFECTED SCHOOLS