TENSION intensified in Makati City as supporters of suspended Mayor Jejomar Erwin Binay Jr. started returning in droves to City Hall on Sunday.
According to Joey Salgado, Makati City’s public information officer, Binay’s supporters decided to return after learning that Vice Mayor Romulo Peña will attempt to enter the main building on Monday.
Salgado said around 2,000 Binay supporters will hold an all-night vigil.
“Around 2,000 supporters of Mayor Binay are now at the City Hall quadrangle because of confirmed reports that the camp of Vice Mayor Peña will attempt to enter the main building on Monday, after the flag-raising ceremony,” he disclosed in a text message.
Peña took over as acting Makati mayor on March 16 after the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) served the suspension order issued by the Office of the Ombudsman against Binay.
This came nearly a week after the Ombudsman, on March 11, ordered Binay’s six-month preventive suspension.
The suspension stemmed from alleged irregularities in the contract for the construction of the Makati City Hall annex.
But Binay was granted a reprieved last week when the Court of Appeals granted his petition for a temporary restraining order.
Salgado said if Peña pushes through with his plan, this is a clear defiance of the TRO.
He also confirmed that the mayor is still staying in his office at City Hall and is “doing fine.”