Despite the signing of the last annex in the Mindanao Peace Process, the British government cautioned its citizens on Wednesday against possible terrorist attacks from extreme factions of the secessionist groups in the region.
According to the reissued travel advice, there remains a high threat of terrorism throughout the Philippines as terrorist groups “continue to plan attacks and have the capacity and the intent to carry out attacks at anytime and anywhere in the country.”
“Although there is hope that the 2013 framework peace agreement will bring the 40-year insurgency in the south of the country to an end, extreme elements within the two main insurgent groups, the Moro National Liberation Front [MNLF] and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front [MILF], continue to pose a security threat,” the advisory said.
It identified several terrorist groups operating in Mindanao such as the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG), Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) and other associated groups.
Furthermore, it said the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF), a splinter group of the MILF, “has been responsible for a number of attacks on the Philippine military and security services over the last year.”