The Management Association of the Philippines (MAP) announced the selection of Teresita Sy-Coson of the SM Group of Companies as recipient of the “MAP Management Man of the Year 2016” award.
The prestigious award is bestowed on individuals in the business community or government who have distinguished themselves in the practice of management and for contributed significantly to the country’s progress. Conferment of the award follows a stringent selection process. The award has been conferred only 40 times in its five-decade history.
The criteria for the award include integrity, leadership, and management qualities; contribution to nation building and values formation; and effective stewardship within the confines of the highest standard of business and management practice.
Sy-Coson was chosen for the following:
• Steering the SM Group’s retail business to greater heights with her over four decades of retail experience;
• Transforming the SM Group’s property business into one of the largest integrated property developers in Southeast Asia with investments in malls, residences, commercial buildings, leisure and tourism;
• Her valuable contribution in sustaining Banco De Oro’s position as a leading bank in the Philippines;
• Her leadership role in the substantial contributions of the SM Group of Companies to national development,
job creation and income generation through its huge investments in real estate, banking, shopping malls, hotels, convention centers, and gaming;
• Strengthening the identity of companies under the SM Group as socially responsible corporate citizens through SM Foundation’s developmental programs on education, livelihood, health and wellness, and the BDO Foundation’s programs in the areas of relief operations, education, shelter and livelihood which have improved the lives of many Filipinos all over the country; and
• Her contribution to re-shaping national values through her track record of integrity, professional competence, and strong leadership.
The roster of M.A.P. Management Man of the Year awardees include: Washington Z. SyCip,1967; Geronimo Z. Velasco, 1977; Henry A. Brimo,1978; Jose M. Soriano, 1979; Cesar E.A. Virata,1981);, Jaime V. Onpin and Vicente T. Paterno, 1982; Dante G. Santos, 1983; Cesar A. Buenaventura and Roberto T. Villanueva, 1985; Jaime Zobel de Ayala, 1987; Ramon V. del Rosario, Sr., 1988; Jose B. Fernandez, Jr., 1989; Raul T. Concepcion,1990; Oscar J. Hilado, 1991; Alfonso T. Yuchengco,1992;Juan B. Santos, 1994; David M. Consunji and Rizalino S. Navarro, 1996; Gabriel C. Singson, 1998; Delfin L. Lazaro and Henry Sy, Sr.,1999; Oscar M. Lopez, 2000; Tony Tan Caktiong, 2002; Jesus P. Tambunting, 2003; Rafael B. Buenaventura, 2004; Manuel V. Pangilinan, 2005; George S. K. Ty and Jaime Augusto Zobel de Ayala, 2006; Jose L. Cuisia Jr., 2007; Antonino T. Aquino and Jesus P. Estanislao, 2009; Lilia B. de Lima and Ramon R. del Rosario, Jr., 2010; Erramon Aboitiz, 2011; Aurelio R. Montinola 3rd, 2012; Edgar O. Chua, 2013; Albert F. del Rosario, 2014; and Amando M. Tetangco, Jr., 2015.