VALPARAISO: More than 8,000 people were evacuated on Sunday (Monday in Manila) as an army of firefighters battled a killer blaze that tore through parts of Chile’s historic port of Valparaiso and left at least 12 people dead. The fire, which started in woodland Saturday, gutted 500 homes as flames advanced on the city of 270,000, famed for its UNESCO-listed center with cobblestone streets and brightly painted wooden homes. So far, that fabled historic center itself has been spared the worst. But for the city as a whole, the worst was far from over, authorities said. “We are in what remains an emergency situation . . . and it is a complicated situation,” Defense Minister Jorge Burgos told Radio Cooperativa.