IF one of the purposes of former Makati City Vice Mayor Ernesto Mercado in going to the United States is to look for pieces of property of Vice President Jejomar Binay there, his search will be futile, United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) interim president and Rep. Tobias Tiangco said on Wednesday.
According to the legislator from Navotas City (Metro Manila), Binay has no pieces of property in the US.
“Walang pag-aari si VP dun. Baka siya [Mercado] meron at sinusubukan na niyang itago [The Vice President has no assets there. Maybe Mercado does and he is trying to hide them],” Tiangco told The Manila Times in a text message.
Mercado flew to the US last week apparently to visit his family but the opposition suspects there could be other reasons for his trip.
Tiangco has urged the Department of Justice (DOJ) to confirm Mercado’s trip to the US because his “secret” departure has raised all sorts of speculations.
He said the reluctance of the Bureau of Immigration to confirm Mercado’s departure apparently substantiates doubts that the Senate inquiry into Binay’s alleged wrongdoing is a sham.
The UNA official added that Mercado is free to travel but since he has been placed under the Witness Protection Program (WPP), he should inform government officials about his travels abroad.
Tiangco said the “secret trip” has boosted suspicions that the former vice mayor may have another agenda in the US.