Woods withdrew from the April 10 to 13 championship at Augusta National—it will be the first time he has missed golf’s premier tournament—following surgery on Monday (Tuesday in Manila) to repair a pinched nerve which had been troubling him for several months.
The 38-year-old American, a 14-time Major winner, said Tuesday: “It also looks like I’ll be forced to miss several upcoming tournaments to focus on my rehabilitation and getting healthy.”
Woods, who has triumphed at the Masters four times, will begin intensive rehabilitation within a week, with doctors estimating he could be chipping and putting again in three weeks, and playing again sometime this summer in time for the US and British Opens.
“There are a couple [of]records by two outstanding individuals and players that I hope one day to break. As I’ve said many times, Sam [Snead] and Jack [Nicklaus] reached their milestones over an entire career. I plan to have a lot of years left in mine,” Woods said.
Woods has had a succession of crippling injuries over the last few years to his knees, wrists and now back, the result of employing one of the most dynamic swings in all of golf.
Nicklaus believes Woods will overcome his mounting injury woes.
“I hate to see him robbed of that time by injury. But we all know he is doing what is in the best interest of his health and future,” said Nicklaus.