Tigres say wouldn’t stop Gignac move to Barcelona

0

MONTERREY, Mexico: Mexican club Tigres of Monterrey denied on Monday (Tuesday in Manila) that Barcelona has approached them to sign Andre-Pierre Gignac but said it would let the French striker move there if he wishes.

Gignac, 30, gave his career a boost since his surprise move from Marseille to the northern Mexican club last year, earning him a return to the French national team that finished runner-up against Portugal at the Euro 2016 in July.

The Spanish sports publication Mundo Deportivo reported on Monday that Gignac is one of the options Barcelona are considering as a backup to its attacking trident of Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar.

A Barcelona official has talked to Gignac and his entourage to get information about his situation and see if he is interested in joining the Catalan club, Mundo Deportivo reported, adding however that other players are under consideration.


But Tigres coach Ricardo Ferretti said there has been no discussions between executives of both teams about Gignac, who was elected as the Mexican league’s top player last season.

“There’s a clause (in his contract) and if Barcelona comes and pays, and Andre wishes to leave, we will wish him success,” the Brazilian coach told a news conference after practice.

“It gives us great pleasure that he is on the list of one of the biggest (clubs) in the world. Andre has declared that he would like to go to Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern (Munich), Manchester United,” he said.

Tigres sporting director Miguel Angel Garza told local television that there was no formal offer for the forward but he also said that “if Andre wants to go to Barcelona, we couldn’t take away this opportunity from him.”

AFP

Share.
.
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.