COTABATO CITY: A known drug dealer in Datu Paglas town, Maguindanao has surrendered to military officials and turned over several high-powered firearms as the police anti-illegal drug operation intensifies.
Abdulatip Pindaliday, alias Grasscutter, surrendered to Lt. Col. Ricky Bunayog, the commanding officer of the Philippine Army’s 33rd Infantry Battalion on Tuesday.
Bunayog said Pindaliday, a high profile drug pusher of Barangay Lipao in Datu Paglas, peacefully turned himself in. He also surrendered his locally made .50-caliber barrette sniper, M16 (AR15) rifle and ammunitions.
Police provincial director, Senior Supt. Nickson Muksan, on Friday said more than 6,000 drug suspects have surrendered, and over P1.5 million worth of shabu (methamphetamine hydrochloride) was confiscated under “Oplan Double Barrel” operation in the towns of Parang and South Upi since July 1.
In Pandag town, 197 people have surrendered, including 14 big-time suspected drug traders in Barangay Kabuling, a known area of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) that operatives spared earlier in respect to the recent peace process in the region.
Their surrender came a day after officials of the MILF and the Department of Interior and Local Governments (DILG) inked an agreement in Davao City to support President Rodrigo Duterte’s campaign against illegal drugs.
The officials admitted that the war on drugs in Maguindanao is tough because of the presence of various armed groups.
Meanwhile, Gov. Esmael Mangudadatu likened the shabu and other illegal drugs to pork, which the Islam religion prohibits or haram to be eaten. He told those who surrendered that if they are Muslims they should have not fallen into the vice, which is prohibited under Islam.