Public utility transport groups are set to launch another two-day nationwide strike next week to continue denouncing the government’s jeepney modernization program.
The Pinagkaisang Samahan ng mga Tsuper at Operator Nationwide (Piston) and No to Jeepney Phaseout Coalition said on Tuesday that the transport strike will happen on December 4 and 5 in protest over the phaseout of old jeepney units starting January 1, 2018.
“We see this as a justified response. We have no choice,” Piston president George San Mateo told The Manila Times on Tuesday.
Piston staged a two-day strike early in October which caused Malacañang to call off classes and government work nationwide.
The group added that they will mount their protest centers in Metro Manila including Monumento, Cubao, Novaliches, Litex, and other regions in the country.
The same groups expected to participate in the next rally are the Kilusang Mayo Uno (KMU), Bayo Association Inc. (Bai), Rizal Alliance vs. PUJ Phase out, No to Jeepney Phaseout Coalition, Unified Transport Federation of Makati, Camanava Transport Alliance Against Jeepney Phaseout, Riles Laan sa Sambayanan Network, All Workers’ Unity, and Kilos ng Manggagawa.
Piston also warned that the incoming rally may be bigger and longer than the first as they urged more operators and drivers to join.
“If necessary, we will hold the strike for one week. We will do this so they will not implement the phaseout,” San Mateo said.
Duterte had earlier called out the group for refusing to comply with the government’s order.