THE Philippine National Police (PNP) on Tuesday said escorting high-profile detainees involved in the controversial pork barrel scam is not only affecting the organization’s budget but also its human and material resources.
The PNP spokesman, Chief Supt. Reuben Theodore Sindac, told reporters in a news briefing at Camp Crame in Quezon City that transporting high-profile detainees like senators Ramon “Bong” Revilla and Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada and businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles from their detention cell to the Sandiganbayan for their arraignment and hearing affects their operational budget.
But, according to Sindac, they are “not complaining.”
The prominent detainees involved in the pork barrel scam, which shocked the country last year, are required to attend hearings at the antigraft court Sandiganbayan two times a week.
Sindac earlier said at least 150 PNP personnel were assigned to escort the senators from the PNP Custodial Center to Sandiganbayan while 100 policemen were assigned to provide security for Napoles from Fort Santo Domingo in Sta Rosa, Laguna, to the Sandiganbayan.
The PNP said it is spending P120,000 for the Napoles hearings but did not give any information of the expenses they incur for Revilla, Estrada and Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile.
Sindac said they did not spend too much for the transport of Enrile to Asian Eye Hospital in Makati City (Metro Manila) last Saturday and Sunday.
He added that the travel expenses of the high-profile detainees came from PNP operational funds.
Sindac said they had asked for supplemental budget from the Department of Budget and Management.