Cotabato, Maguindanao: A truce has been reached between warring factions in the province of Sultan Kudarat on Friday.
The Coordinating Committee for the Cessation of Hostilities (CCCH), the ceasefire mechanism of the Government of the Philippines (GPH) and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), local government units and security forces have intervened, said a military official.
“A ceasefire had already been declared in Lutayan and as a result, the involved MILF members already pulled out from the conflict area,” GPH-CCCH Secretariat Director Major Carlos T. Sol said.
Citing reports, Sol said the fighting was due to a land conflict between the two groups that engaged in battle for almost one hour. He said among the wounded were the village chieftain and a council member.
While insisting the violence has nothing to do with the peace process, Sol did not say whether the MILF gunmen would be charged for the attack, which already violated the peace accord the former rebel group signed with Manila in 2014.
“It has nothing to do with the Bangsamoro Basic Law or the peace process in general. It was a case of rido or clan war between two warring groups that happened to have MILF members involved. But I assure you that the ceasefire between the government and the MILF remains,” Sol said.
Sol added that a dispute resolution mechanism will be held this weekend to put an end to the conflict.
“The two parties agreed to a dialogue. As a matter of fact, they will have a meeting this Saturday to be facilitated by the CCCH and the IMT [International Monitoring Team], together with the security forces of government, and the Lutayan local government, to discuss a settlement,” he further said.