WASHINGTON, D.C.: John Kasich confirmed on Sunday (Monday in Manila) he had been sounded out as a possible running mate of Donald Trump in a call the Republican candidate’s son made to an aide of the Ohio governor.
The New York Times reported last month that Donald Trump Jr broached the possibility in a call to a senior Kasich adviser in May, telling him Trump’s vice president would be responsible for domestic and foreign policy.
Kasich said in a CNN interview that he was never contacted directly but that one of his aides received the call from Donald Trump Jr and that the Times’ account of the conversation was accurate.
A former Trump rival in the primaries who has yet to endorse the Republican candidate, Kasich said he “never considered” the running mate option.
“I’d be the worst vice president,” he said. “I have too many opinions.”
The Trump campaign ultimately chose Indiana Governor Mike Pence.
Kasich declined to attend the Republican National Convention — which was held in his own battleground state Ohio — saying that it would have been “inappropriate” to attend without endorsing Trump.
“I wish that I could be fully enthusiastic. I can’t be,” Kasich said, declining to say who he planned to vote for in November.
“There will be sections he will win because people are angry, frustrated and haven’t heard any answers,” Kasich said when asked if he thought Trump had a chance to clinch Ohio this fall.
“But I still think it’s difficult if you are dividing to be able to win in Ohio.”