The United Nations team in the Philippines has joined the Filipino people in mourning the death of 44 elite commandos who were mowed down during an operation to arrest terrorists in Maguindanao last week.
The UN on Saturday expressed its sympathies and condolences to the families of the fallen policemen, saying an investigation is in order.
“We welcome the conduct of investigations by the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front [MILF] into the incident, and the commitments expressed by President Benigno Aquino 3rd, MILF Chairman Ebrahim Murad and other concerned parties in regard to sustaining focus on the peace process,” the UN said in a statement.
“We welcome also the reaffirmation yesterday by the peace negotiating panels to strengthen their cooperation and coordination in addressing security concerns in the most effective and appropriate manner, and also in rebuilding trust and public confidence in the peace process,” it added.
The world body said it will release, through the its Peace Building Fund, resources to support various aspects of the peace process.
The United States, through the US Embassy in Manila, also sent its condolences to the families, friends, and colleagues of the policemen who were killed in Maguindanao on January 25.
“The SAF units fought with bravery and demonstrated their commitment to ensuring peace and order in their country. The United States reiterates its support for the Philippine government’s efforts to combat international terrorism while promoting a just and lasting peaceful resolution to the conflict in Mindanao,” the US said in a statement.