WASHINGTON: The US State Department has confirmed the deaths of two more Americans in the Brussels suicide attacks, bringing the total number to four.
“We can confirm the deaths of two additional US citizens in Brussels, and we express our deepest condolences to their loved ones,” a State Department official told Agence France-Presse.
The department had reported Friday that two Americans were killed and that additional US citizens were missing.
“We have no further information to share out of respect for the families during this difficult time,” the official said Sunday.
An American couple that had been reported missing, Justin and Stephanie Shults, were confirmed dead by an employer and family on Saturday. It was unclear whether they were among the four reported dead by the State Department.
Tuesday’s attacks on the Brussels airport and metro system, claimed by the Islamic State group, killed 31 people and wounded 340.
The State Department official said the US embassy in Brussels was providing consular assistance. AFP