As he previously announced, the camp of Amateur Boxing Alliances of the Philippines President Ricky Vargas will ask the Pasig Regional Trial Court (RTC) Court to issue a temporary restraining order (TRO) stopping the Philippine Olympic Committee November 25 election.
Lawyer Jake Corporal said that they will formally ask the Pasig RTC to issue a TRO on November 19. Vargas on November 4 received the final decision of the POC Commission on Election junking his appeal for reconsideration over an earlier ruling disqualifying him to run for POC president.
The Pasig RTC has jurisdiction over the case because the POC office is located within the Philsports Complex in Pasig City.
“We have to go to court to prevent the election to take place on November 25. We have no other recourse now but to ask the court, who is right and who is wrong,” said Corporal, who was accompanied by Vargas and former PBA commissioner Chito Salud at the Kapihan sa Manila Bay in Café Adriatico in Malate, Manila on Wednesday.
Vargas was declared “ineligible” by the POC electoral committee headed by Frank Elizalde because of lack of required attendance in the POC General Assembly.
“The term active member is susceptible to so many interpretations. The by-laws of an organization allows a member to be represented in the meeting and he is till an active member. We are going to court to file a TRO so that the term active member would be interpreted once and for all,” said Vargas.
Corporal said that the move to seek help from the court could not be construed as government interference since the court would merely interpret the term “active member.”
“It’s not government intervention because there is a legal issue here, there is a dispute and it needs to be settled. There is an issue of qualification to be a candidate for president. The term ‘active member’ requires interpretation by the court,” added Corporal.
Vargas stressed that if given a chance to run, he is ready to lose in a fair election to incumbent POC President Jose “Peping” Cojuangco, who has been occupying the post for already 12 years.
“I may lose because he (Cojuangco) has been there for already 12 years and all throughout many have already been indebted to him. They may vote for Cojuangco out of gratitude,” added Vargas.
“All we want is for us to be given a chance. Give us a chance to work it out. Let it be through a reasonable means. Give the NSA heads and athletes a choice. What is important is to show that we fight for the good of sports, in the spirit of sportsmanship.