Vice President Jejomar Binay on Tuesday expressed serious concern over reports of unscrupulous individuals charging fees from Martial Law human rights abuse victims filing for compensation.
“It is unfortunate that those who resisted the Marcos dictatorship are now disrespected and deceived,” Binay, a human rights lawyer during the Marcos regime and a Martial Law detainee, said.
The Vice President called on authorities to probe the allegations and to take proper action against the reported scammers and fixers.
“Let us not allow the Martial Law victims to be victimized anew,” he said.
The Human Rights Victims Claims Board (HRVCB) on Sunday said claimants told them that fixers have been selling application forms for P300 each.
Binay advised claimants to file their applications directly with the HRVCB to avoid being duped. He also reiterated that absolutely no fee is required for filing claims.
Forms are available at the HRCVB office in UP Diliman or at regional offices of the Commission on Human Rights. They may also be downloaded from the HRVCB website.
The Vice President previously said he would file a claim and will use the amount awarded him to set up a fund to assist children of Martial Law victims.
Under Republict Act 10368 or the Human Rights Victims Reparation and Recognition Act of 2013, victims of human rights violations committed from September 21, 1972 to February 25, 1986 may file for compensation.
The HRVCB has set the period for the filing of applications from May 12 to November 1, 2014.