VICE President and Presidential Adviser on Overseas Filipino Workers’ (OFW) Concerns Jejomar Binay visited Thursday the wake of the OFW beheaded in Libya.
Binay went to the home of Antonio Espares in Taguig to extend his condolences and assistance to the latter’s family.
The Vice President said that as member of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA), Espares will receive benefits from the agency.
“As an OWWA member, he is entitled to government aid. His employer has also extended assistance,” he said.
Espares’s wife, Maribel, will receive P20,000 burial assistance and P15,000 livelihood assistance while one of his children will be given scholarship.
The Espares family previously received P200,000 from OWWA.
Espares, 49, had been working for a construction company when he was kidnapped by alleged members of a Libyan militia and subsequently beheaded.
Meanwhile, an OFW who suffered cardiac arrest in Oman is now home.
Michael Teñoso, who worked in Qatar for more than five years as site administrator, arrived Thursday via Etihad Airways.
“Michael had been confined at the Al Buraimi Hospital in Oman since June. We are glad that he is now home and reunited with his loved ones,” Binay said.
Noralyn Santos, former officemate of Teñoso’s father, went to the Office of the Vice President (OVP) to request for assistance to bring Teñoso home.
The OVP coordinated with the Department of Foreign Affairs and the OWWA to
facilitate Teñoso’s immediate repatriation.
Santos relayed the Teñoso family’s appreciation of the Vice President’s help.
Earlier this week while the Vice President was in Bukidnon, he met with the parents of an OFW who was allegedly raped in the Middle East and assured them of government assistance.