• When your ex publicizes your sex videos

    Persida Acosta

    Persida Acosta

    Dear PAO,
    I would like to seek assistance from your office. I am planning to sue my ex-boyfriend because he has been showing his friends our private intimate videos. Actually, that is the reason why I broke up with him. He disrespects me in front of both of our friends and he brags about our personal “encounters”. Some of my neighbors and even his officemates know about this. I am so ashamed, hurt and at the same time mad. How can an adult man do something so shameful to someone he says he loves? I am really so traumatized that I no longer want to leave our house. I am also afraid that the details and videos might reach my parents. He said that he will stop showing our videos only if I agree to be with him again. But after everything I have been through, I cannot stand being in the same room with him. Please help me. What can I do? Is it possible for me to file a case against him even if we have broken up already?

    Dear GCL,
    Clearly you are experiencing abuse from your former boyfriend. Although there is no showing that he abuses you physically, the emotional, mental and psychological trauma you have experienced may be considered as an abuse as well. And even if you have already ended your relationship with him, you are not proscribed from seeking help from our courts. You may consider filing a complaint against your former boyfriend for violation of the provisions of Republic Act (R.A.) 9262 or more commonly known as the “Anti-Violence Against Women and Their Children Act of 2004”.

    Such a complaint must be filed before the office of the city/provincial prosecutor where the abuse or violence was committed. Violence, as defined under the law, “refers to any act or a series of acts committed by any person against a woman who is his wife, former wife, or against a woman with whom the person has or had a sexual or dating relationship, or with whom he has a common child, or against her child whether legitimate or illegitimate, within or without the family abode, which result in or is likely to result in physical, sexual, psychological harm or suffering, or economic abuse including threats of such acts, battery, assault, coercion, harassment or arbitrary deprivation of liberty x x x” (Section 3 (a), R.A. No. 9262). If the prosecutor finds probable cause, the formal criminal charges shall be filed before the Regional Trial Court designated as a Family Court where the offense or where any of the acts of violence was committed.You may also consider securing a protection order so that further acts of abuse against you may be prevented. You may apply for a Temporary Protection Order (TPO) before the court. Once it is granted, it shall be effective for thirty (30) days from issuance and enforceable anywhere in the Philippine. If your former boyfriend violates the TPO, he may be penalized with a fine ranging from P5,000 to P50,000.00 and/or imprisonment of six months (Section 15 in relation to Section 12, R.A. No. 9262).

    Should you believe that you need further protection, you may apply before the court for the issuance of a Permanent Protection Order (PPO) prior to the expiration of your TPO.

    We hope that we were able to answer your queries. Please be reminded that this advice is based solely on the facts you have narrated and our appreciation of the same. Our opinion may vary when other facts are changed or elaborated.

    Editor’s note: Dear PAO is a daily column of the Public Attorney’s Office. Questions for Chief Acosta may be sent to dearpao@manilatimes.net


    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    Comments are closed.