Never drink alcohol on an empty stomach.
That was the lesson top celebrity endorser and award-winning actress Anne Curtis learned—the controversial way—after the much talked about slapping incident on November 23 at Privé Luxury Club in Bonifacio Global City. Apparently, she had been on a three-day juice diet just before attending a party.
First reported the Philippine Entertainment Portal (pep.ph) on December 1, the story quoted former The Manila Times society contributor and now Circuit events magazine editor and publisher JR Isaac, who narrated how the A-List celebrity blew her top at the swanky club.
According to the affable JR, he was hanging out with pals at the VIP area of Privé, half of which had been closed for a private event—a bachelorette party that Anne had organized for a friend. JR’s party comprised of actors John Lloyd Cruz and Jake Cuenca, telecoms executive Leah de Guzman and model Phoemela Barranda, along with others.
Talking with pep.ph, JR continued, “Leah and I are just between the toilet door and the bar. I think I was standing and waiting for my drink, talking to Leah. Then we heard a loud voice saying, ‘Who’s banging my door?’ We didn’t know who or where it was at first! Just loud, coming from behind us. When we turned around, we saw, stepping out of the toilet, Anne, very mad.
“Then all of a sudden, pak-pak. My left cheek. Then Leah was also slapped. Then JL [John Lloyd] was also slapped,” he related.
As the story went, Anne pointed fingers, shouting unpleasant things at John Lloyd and Phoemela, until she was eventually escorted out of the premises.
While many entertainment scribes have declared the slapping incident to be the worst crisis in the erstwhile showbiz sweetheart’s career, the 28-year-old It Girl, managed to turn it around making both personal apologies to the aggrieved parties, as well as a public apology over Twitter.
On the same day the PEP report was published, Anne humbly and openly addressed the issue, speaking to some 6 million followers on her social networking site.
“Hey everyone. I will be making my official statement now & after this, I will not be giving any interviews about this issue anymore. I choose to do this right away because I’ve always been an open book and I don’t like to hide anything . . .
“For those who have read about the issue, yes, most of it is true. I admit to that & I have apologized to all parties included immediately,” she admitted.
For her brave act, seasoned showbiz observers—who were gathered the following evening at talent manager Perry Lansigan’s Christmas dinner for a cause—opined that the issue will soon be forgotten because of Anne’s apology.
JR himself confirmed that Anne said sorry to him the very next day, with a text that said, “JR! It’s Anne. Got your number from Monique! Tried messaging you on Facebook this morning. Just want to apologize for my behavior! I’m so so so sorry. I’m so ashamed [frown]would never act like that in the right state of mind! I’m so sorry. Please forgive me!”
JR replied, “Hi Anne, just woke up and read your text. Apology accepted . . . On a lighter note, you owe me a tight hug!!! Going back to sleep, nursing my hang over.”
What showbiz observers are interested to find out, however, is who Anne was referring to in her tweet as “the person who started all of this.” She wrote, “When I was told of my behavior AND the person who started all of this, due to this person’s inappropriate behavior, apologized to me too. Just as I did. Which I accepted too. I choose not to go into detail because I’m not the type to ruin someone else’s name.”
Was she provoked is the lingering question now, which is not to point fingers at any of the personalities included in the unfortunate incident. As one respected entertainment journalist commented, “It isn’t in Anne’s nature to do that, drunk or not.”
For her part, Anne has rightly chosen to leave the issue behind after clearing her conscience of her mistakes. As she said at the beginning of Showtime on Monday, “Isang masaya at moving on na tanghali sa inyo my super sexy madlang people!”