REPRESENTATIVES of junket operator Kam Sin Wong, also known as “Kim Wong,” appeared Thursday before the Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) in Manila to surrender $4.63 million of the $81 million hacked from the Bangladesh Bank and laundered through the Rizal Commercial Banking Corp. (RCBC) into three casinos in the Philippines.
Appearing personally before the AMLC office at the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) Complex is Wong’s legal counsel, Inocencio Ferrer, Jr.
Ferrer turned over the funds to AMLC member and Insurance Commissioner Emmanuel Dooc, Executive Director Julia Abad and other BSP officials.
The Council said the funds will be placed at the BSP vault for safekeeping.
Bangladesh central bank representative and Ambassador to the Philippines John Gomes witnessed the turn-over of the funds contained in a large purple trolley bag containing 46 bundles in $100 denominations and some loose bills.
Wong is one of the big names tagged in the biggest money laundering scandal in the Philippines so far.
In his testimony before the Senate blue ribbon committee on Tuesday, Wong admitted he got P100 million in cash on Feb. 5 and additional cash of P300 million and $5 million from Feb. 10 to 14.
Wong had said he was willing to turn over a remaining $4.63 million that had been deposited with the Solaire Resort & Casino, in Manila. The amount was part of the $63 million that went to Solaire and Midas Hotel and Casino.
Ferrer said that Thursday morning or less than 48 hours after the adjournment of the Senate hearing, Wong asked him to visit the AMLC to inform the Council that they are officially turning over the $4.63 million dollars.
“Today, Mr. Kim Wong kept his promise to the Senate blue ribbon committee to return the $4.63 million in his casino to the AMLC for later transmittal to the Bangladesh central bank,” Ferrer said.
The counsel added that he had approached the office of AMLC Thursday morning unannounced to ask for the arrangements of the fund transfer.
“They did not know that I was coming today,” Ferrer said. “I came over, and Executive Director Abad, with the other officials of the BSP, listened to my request early this morning and prepared all the security arrangements.”
“The stature of the Philippines in the world community has been restored today, with the funds returned [without the courts intervention],” Ferrer claimed. MAYVELIN CARABALLO