YOLANDA UPDATE: 3 confirmed dead in CoronNovember 9, 2013 11:13 am
PUERTO PRINCESA CITY — Three residents are confirmed dead in Coron in northern Palawan after the onslaught of Super typhoon Yolanda.
Insp. Nesarato Sabando of the municipal police identified the dead as Nicanor Roxas, Erwin Roque, and Carlos Catamora.
Sabando said their bodies were found in one location in Coron.
As of Saturday morning, partial reports disclosed that in Busuanga, 2,828 families, or 14,140 individuals were evacuated from their homes near the coast and in landslide-prone areas.
Almost 85 percent of all properties in Busuanga were also reportedly damaged by Yolanda’s monster winds and heavy rains. Fishing boats in many coastal communities were destroyed.
No casualty has been reported so far, according to Gilbert Baaco, executive director of the provincial disaster management agency.
In Coron, the number of families in temporarily shelters is between 8,000 and 10,000. They urgently need food assistance, clothes, medicines and beddings, authorities said.
Palawan Governor Jose Alvarez is scheduled to fly Saturday in his private helicopter to inspect the storm damage in the Calamianes Group of Islands, and other areas in the northern part of the province.
In Roxas town, also in northern Palawan, Gerry Alili of the MDRRMC said families from 21 out of 31 barangays were evacuated as rivers flowed over.
In Puerto Princesa, the four fishermen who were reported missing have returned safely shortly before nightfall Friday, according to a report to the City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (CDRRMO).
They were residents of Barangay Bagong Bayan.
Two fishermen from Barangay San Jose remain missing.